Ok, here's some more info that I was able to put together.

I built gd and supporting libraries using gcc 3.1.

To build another program (that actually eventually generates a perl
module), I had to revert to gcc 2.x.

I, then, reverted back to gcc 3.x and built the perl specific module.
Running my perl scripts hence produces the errors below. The "dyld: perl
Undefined symbols:" portion indicates there might be some binary
incompatibility. Between what and what though? Is there a way I can test
this? (I guess, in a manner of speaking, I did test it and learned it is
incompatible :-( )