This is mysterious, so I am posting my further adventures with gd/GD
with the hope that others might be helped/have answers.

I decided to check whether it was my libgd that was fubar or my perl.
So, I installed GD. This is where cpan betrayed me. It got the latest
GD.pm, and then complained about not having a properly escaped @ sign
on line 15 of Makefile.PL. I opened that file with pico and found

        warn "Martin P.J. Zinser ([EMAIL PROTECTED])\n\n";

strange, it would complain! Anyway, I also found the following right at
the top of the Makefile

        warn "NOTICE: This module requires libgd 2.0.1 or higher.\n";
        warn "        For earlier versions of libgd, use GD version 1.43.\n";

huh! so, cpan is not that idiot-proof. Would have been nice if it had
figured out that I had libgd 1.8.4 (the latest stable version) and
gotten the appropriate GD for me. Interestingly, libgd 2.0.1 is still
beta, and yet, cpan insists on installing a beta-dependent software.
Would be nice if cpan came back and said something like

        > you are trying to install GD-2.02 which requires libgd 2.0.1
        > you have libgd 1.8.4. The recommended module is GD-1.4.x
        > would you like me to install it? (y)

Anyway, off I go to CPAN archives and search for GD. Guess what, there
is no such thing as GD 1.43. I go straight to the horses mouth, and
find that Lincoln Stein has nothing called GD 1.43. This really
mysterious. What were they thinking when the wrote the above warning in
the Makefile!

So, the closest I find on CPAN is GD 1.41. I downloaded that manually,
perl Makefiled it, and it mostly worked. Tested gd_example.cgi and got
a red ovel with a blue outline in a black box.

Cool! There is nothing wrong with my gd. Something is wrong with the
specific perl module that is calling gd. So, off I go investigating
something else.

Btw, am I the only one who finds the error messages streaming off my
terminal at 300 mph while doing the make, build dance useless? I mean,
I can't even read them, and by the time I scroll up to read the buffer
runoff, make is merrily proceeding along its erroneous ways.

Strange are unix ways... less is more...

;-)