It appears that Bill Cole via mailop <mailop-20160...@billmail.scconsult.com>
said:
>> AFAIK, for most of the world is US-ASCII not enough, not only for
>> India or Thailand.
>
>Absolutely true. However, I believe that what John meant to point out is
>that support for SMTPUTF8 *in MTAs operating as MXs* is not widespread
>enough to be useful except for mail to Indian and Thai addresses,

Right.  I am aware of communities of EAI mail users in India and Thailand,
but not anywhere else.  You might expect EAI users in China, but nope,
for reasons I can explain if anyone cares.

Everywhere else people use ASCII mail addresses, even though they are
often writing mail in non-ASCII character sets.

R's,
John