--- vincenzo crupi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

---------------------------------

Larry Swain scripsit:

AMen.  One of the reasons I use Tolkien in a course

that deals in European epic literature is because he

drew so much from Vergil and Homer.  If I recall

correctly, Classical Language and Literature was his

first "major" before!  he switched to philology under

Sisam.

   Et, mehercules, categoriae historiae aliquantum hic
strident:

horresco referens monstrum istud quod “European epic
literature” appellas!

Europaeae litterae nec revera sunt nec, si vestro
iudicio sint, tamen eundem vultum exhibent et
temporibus et locis. Tolkien animum applicat
philologiae impulsore Sisam ! Sed id quod tu
philologiam vocas rectius philologia Anglorum ad
Medium Aevum pertinens appell!

I'll only make a few brief comments to this diatribe.
First, I used philology in the sense that it was used
in British universities before World War I.
"Philology" at that period was used to describe the
nascent field undertaken in English departments by and
large of Indo-European linguistics.  This of course
has changed drastically over the century, but in 1912,
that's the way it was.  I also didn't say "impulsore
Sisam", I said under Sisam.  Kenneth Sisam was
Tolkien's tutor in 1912 and it was during this time
that he migrated from the Classical faculty to the
English faculty.

Most of the rest of the message is beside the point.
Tolkien et al came from a period in which all of
European literature was seen as a continuum, two of
the great works that this generation produced was
Auerbach's Mimesis covering material from the ancient
to the modern world, and Curtius' magnum opus,
European Literature in the Latin Middle Ages which
assumed a continuity between the Classical past and
Medieval literature.  That Tolkien also participated
in this view is apparent to anyone who has read any of
his scholarly  pieces.  That his fiction is influenced
by his scholarly life is also quite well known.  That
he was embued with the Latin and Greek classics is
plain as day.  That the classics, as well as other
sources, influenced his work is easily demonstrated.

   Si ergo tam multiplex implicatumque est quod
Vergilius Graecis debet, ut qui duas tantum litteras
(latinas et Graecas) docent persaepe Vergilium ab
Homero disiunctum teneant, quo se res habet cum ad
Tolkenium fuga temporum locorumque ducit?

So the epic hero died with Vergil eh?  And epic themes
were never dealt with in any subsequent literature?
And our great epics didn't influence later writers to
mimetic works and scenes?  Please, spare us.

An impassioned plea to not do comparative literature
or to engage in studies that cross our dearly held
boundaries.  I'm afraid I'm not going to try and
defend interdisciplinary studies, or interperiod
studies and comparative literature against the fear
that by doing so we have somehow devalued the context
of Vergil or of the study of that context.  The best I
can do at the moment is to invite you to come and sit
in on my class,  perhaps you'll learn something.

ljs