Two points:

1.   I agree that the Aeneid in translation generally fails to "grab" students as strongly as the Iliad and the Odyssey in translation do (I began studying Greek because I liked the Iliad and the Odyssey in English translation so much, but it took the Latin text of the Aeneid for me to get interested in the Aeneid), but even so I've had fairly good success with Robert Fitzgerald's translation of the Aeneid, and that's the one I would recommend to teachers.

2.  Tolkien certainly was not ignorant of the Greek and Latin languages, and he knew Classical literature.  But they weren't his priorities.  As a medievalist and a philologist of Germanic languages, he somewhat resented the larger amount of attention that Classical literature and languages generally received, and he had a vested interest in overturning the then-accepted hierarchy that placed Classical literature at the top.  So as a rhetorical strategy Tolkien tended to disavow any interest in Greek and Roman epic, and he liked to deny that they had any influence on _The Lord of the Rings_.  This has always exasperated me a bit, since I can't help thinking of the Iliad every time I read the chapters on the Siege of Minas Tirith in _The Lord of the Rings_.  But it's a complicated situation.  In a way, Tolkien is being disingenuous in his dismissal of Classical epic, but for all that he's being utterly sincere when he says he treasures the scraps of Saxon and Gothic we have extant more  than all of Greek and Roman literature, and when he says he would gladly trade all of Homer's poems for more information on the lost legend of Wade  Partly it comes down to glosso-esthetics, if I may coin such a term:  Tolkien was acutely sensitive to the sounds of different languages, and he didn't much care for the sounds Latin and Greek, but he was utterly ravished by the sounds of Gothic, Old English, etc.   And partly it's also a Keatsian attitude:  "Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard/ Are sweeter..."  I can see it both ways, myself.  I treasure the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid more than any other poems extant, but at the same time I'm ravenously curious to know the story of Wade--and I could tear my hair with frustration when I read about Charlemagne commanding traditional Germanic legends to be written down in the vernacular, and I reflect that not a single copy of any of them is extant!

Randi Eldevik
Oklahoma State University

Larry Swain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]