#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I agree that policies adopted by governments in response to the coronavirus
will have an adverse effect on popular struggles.  In Australia, planned
nationwide demonstrations for refugee rights on April 5 have been called off
(at least in Melbourne and Brisbane, and probably elsewhere).

An atomised population, staying at home and not taking any collective action,
is ideal for authoritarian governments.

It is uncertain how long this situation will continue.  Some reports have said
it will take a year or two to develop a vaccine.  Will there be no
demonstrations or mass meetings for two years?

Is such a ban actually necessary to prevent the spread of the the virus.  Would
it be sufficient to urge people not to come if they are sick or in close
contact with a sick person, and not to have physical contact with other people
they meet at the event, e.g. shaking hands?

Are there any alternative forms of struggle?

Chris Slee