#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 3/19/20 5:04 AM, RKOB via Marxism wrote:

“But many scientists support this!” Is it really the case that scientists are above classes and class interests?

I know that one scientist is above class interests. His Marxist politics have prevented him from getting a cushy job. I speak of Rob Wallace, who is a FB friend and author of books and articles on agriculture and epidemiology, including this:

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1DVhuP2i7SBGLv68K9O6KABC3jEBWa8udfaEVihNJpQuGCLuEmdBye-oPttl7I7UGEgbcf_us1_cgA3Q9jIRjToIVu7_xWkE4rG5LMuWG4RtYf7KPfgO1Bx4bpcSxmW-fN9aSXYGeeZ4eIS_6K6EGF9Ht6MwRfhsokIUJdhIzH_uFBpJjKqfqF8KX1_jZdTTBMHjDNChARKTQv13x-rKUCFE6CGZAn8zEJ9J9R-bqiZOrE2aO68l2nztjgSMRM-Ec9t7luplB-Fazm32gZy0YvQolCpf4yx3wmD7Eseu2pK0Gn9s7YbNulmAJu9n5JumJX6zf6hq6-Tjjdjqo_3A0ZTHivueYAhmkTuM6hzbhfE2ZK7yR3TOjudryf1MQ6klY/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.counterpunch.org%2F2020%2F02%2F24%2Fconnecting-the-coronavirus-to-agriculture%2F

He has also posted this on FB. You'll note that he describes home quarantine, etc. as the "best-case scenario" for preventing deaths. For my own sake at least, I will be following his lead:

The death load I quote below is for the best-case scenario under mitigation strategies alone: case isolation, home quarantine, and social distancing of the elderly. The authors do not offer an estimate when adding a suppression strategy of, for instance, closing schools and universities. However, as we are unlikely to match the best of either strategies, the death toll will likely still shock us. Especially as we have orders fewer critical care beds available than COVID-19 cases likely to come.

Prepare for the worst.

Neil Ferguson's modeling group out of Imperial College has some very bad news http://secure-web.cisco.com/193nZo89C_ZrsNaNWupN009tnZ7aWrGt-ovYQZwX8DXOnCQcKFqFb4EHvbI7m-V-UiN5zIwAxMiFY-um211L-xcO5y5hg-ANyb87kZM6HCAGbf4oLxeUsK8twbzs086VQaEmXBc3LcY54AECKX2HH6qO3m89FedsKUoZ9bL8dchcXGSL5b2Sb3i9d1LwT2zplevLvCz9JS1vuLwyM-R8pMct8oMKWn3bGawaLgRgK5PuFBO4403io8ozHvEKwLGArpCC3ka9Omf68iFfFohXsZeaAlHvJF_dG5bBxGB7YrDfqgSgD8rD447S6Yv5YbWOD02rn9rRIAcPcI2DIsSoox97-4PT5RjcmO6Mli13-g7WNgVRWoCREfKcmrYl41wqS/http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F33lM7CE%3A

"Perhaps our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over. In the most effective mitigation strategy examined, which leads to a single, relatively short epidemic (case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of the elderly), the surge limits for both general ward and ICU beds would be exceeded by at least 8-fold under the more optimistic scenario for critical care requirements that we examined. In addition, even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US."