On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 6:43 AM D Derwin via groups.io <siptuactivist=
gmail....@groups.io> wrote:

> I wonder is everyone so content to see Marxmail diverge so much from the
intentions of Louis Proyect by allowing a platform for campists and
necessitating a pointless debate with those who have so many platforms
elsewhere?

> Anyway here is a recent response to an old talking-point once again given
an outlet on Marxmail:

> No, the West did not sabotage an early peace deal in Ukraine
> https://www.thebureau.news/p/no-the-west-did-not-sabotage-an-early

*No path to peace in Ukraine through this fantasy world*
by Simon Pirani, People and Nature, April 2024
https://peopleandnature.wordpress.com/2024/04/08/no-path-to-peace-in-ukraine-through-this-fantasy-world/
  .  .  .
Among “left” writers, the “campists” and one-sided “anti-imperialists”, who
deny Ukraine’s right to resist Russian aggression, say that peace talks
could start now … if only the western powers did not stand in the way. ...
  .  .  .
*What happened in April 2022*

The idea that peace talks have been blocked solely by the western powers –
rather than by Russia’s war strategy – has been repeated over and over
again by the “campists” over the past two years. They claim, in particular,
that a deal was on the table in Istanbul in April 2022, that Ukraine was
ready to sign, but that Boris Johnson, then UK premier, visited Kyiv and
persuaded president Zelensky not to do so.

This version of events was demolished by Volodymyr Artiukh and Taras
Fedirko in October 2022. They showed that the single source for the claim,
a report in Ukrainska Pravda, had been misinterpreted, and that a mass of
evidence suggested that the talks failed due to Ukrainian and Russian
political factors, and the dynamics of military operations. [see below, dg]
Commentators who focus on “a magic turning point when everything could have
gone otherwise” ignore that “in Russia’s repertoire, diplomacy has
consistently been subordinated to the use of force”, they wrote. I urge
readers to read this thoughtful, rounded argument.
  .  .  .
Despite the importance attached to Bucha by Bennett, Arakhamia and
Arestovich, none of the “campists” mention it – except for that one
dismissive reference by Marcetic (see above). They live in a fantasy world
where Russian imperialism is absent, and its crimes of no consequence.
  .  .  .

  -   -   -
*No, the West Didn’t Halt Ukraine’s Peace Talks With Russia*
Russian diplomacy was always a smokescreen
by Volodymyr Artiukh & Taras Fedirko, Novara Media, October 17, 2022
https://novaramedia.com/2022/10/17/no-the-west-didnt-halt-ukraines-peace-talks-with-russia/
   -   -   -

*BTW >*

Israel's declared goals similar to Russia's – Lavrov
RT, December 28, 2023
https://www.rt.com/russia/589831-lavrov-israeli-gaza-hypocrisy/

The declared goals of Israel in its ongoing operation against Hamas
militants in Gaza seem nearly identical to Moscow's in its campaign against
the Ukrainian government, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has said
in an interview with RIA Novosti on Thursday.
  -   -   -

Palestine Chronicle, Dec. 28
https://www.palestinechronicle.com/objectives-of-israels-and-russias-war-nearly-identical-did-lavrov-shift-position-on-gaza/
  .  .  .
The comments, attributed to Russia’s top diplomat, were cited by Russia
Today in an interview on Thursday with RIA Novosti.

“The goals declared by Israel for its ongoing operation against Hamas
militants in Gaza seem nearly identical to those put forward by Moscow in
its campaign against the Ukrainian government,” RT quoted Lavrov as saying.
  .  .  .

View/Reply Online (#30000): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/30000
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io