> On Apr 18, 2024, at 9:47 AM, Marv Gandall via groups.io
> <marvgand2=gmail....@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Messrs. Reimann and Derwin don’t seem to appreciate that the latest
> allegations about NATO’s role come from a Rand Corporation analyst and a Cold
> War historian who have impeccable pro-Ukrainian and anti-Russian credentials.
> They mainly based their findings on interviews with David Arakhamia and other
> Zelensky government officials who played key roles in negotiating with the
> Russian side.    At the risk of further stoking the hysteria about Putinite
> and campist subversion on the list, here’s further testimony from Oleksiy
> Arestovych, another well-placed Ukrainian official with first-hand knowledge
> of the tentative peace agreement reached in Istanbul between Ukraine and
> Russia and subsequently sabotaged by Boris Johnson on behalf of NATO and the
> arms and energy industries - the only beneficiaries of the ongoing carnage.
> https://www.intellinews.com/top-ukrainian-politician-david-arakhamia-gives-seventh-confirmation-of-russia-ukraine-peace-deal-agreed-in-march-2022-302876/?source=ukraine

>From intellenews: “US foreign policy advisor Fiona Hill added credence to the
>original report in an article she wrote for Foreign Affairs saying that a deal
>was indeed agreed, and suggested the deal was only dropped after Johnson’s
>visit to Kyiv."  I read the linked article,
>https://www.foreignaffairs.com/russian-federation/world-putin-wants-fiona-hill-angela-stent,
> and could not find where Fiona Hill mentioned "Johnson" or the "UK" or
>anything about how the deal came to be abandoned.  She quotes Lavrov, not
>Boris, who isn't mentioned AFAICT.

Saying that the deal was abandoned after Boris Johnson's visit is to state a
correlation that says nothing about the causes, which we're interested in
knowing.  The implication is that the Ukrainians have no agency of their own
but take orders from a second-tier politician from a second-tier world power.
Is it possible, however, that Johnson was delivering some answer to a request
from Ukraine, which was considering its benefits (Putin will agree to give up
his ambitions in Ukraine, Belarus, etc.) and risks (Ossetia, Chechnya,
Dagestan).  Point is, we don't know. And neither does intellenews AFAICT.  It's
article is a bit sloppy with its references and quotes:

1. 'When we returned from Istanbul Boris Johnson came to Kyiv and said: “We
will not sign anything with them at all and let’s just go to war,” Arestovych
said.'
2. 'When he returned to Kyiv from the 29-30 March peace negotiations in
Istanbul Boris Johnson arrived in Ukraine a few days later and said: ''We will
not sign anything at all with them, let's just fight!'' according to
Arestovych.'

Variation 2 sounds more likely since Ukraine had already been forced to go to
war before intellenews had Boris showing up in Kyiv.

Mark

>   For those suspecting that I’m an agent or dupe of Russian disinformation,
> the publication is a respectable one based in Berlin and Tallinin which
> covers European business and political affairs:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bne_IntelliNews. (The link mistakenly refers to
> Arakhamia though Arestovych is the subject of the article).

View/Reply Online (#29976): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/29976
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io