Actually we invaded Okinawa and the civilians had been so heavily propagandized to believe the USA would rape and murder every person they came upon that many threw themselves from cliffs - I think it was something over 1000 that did so. There is video showing people doing this and it is very disturbing. Also, the civilians in Japans - down to 6 year olds were being armed with sticks and grenades to use when the Americans arrived. They estimated the US would lose 1 million or more men with 2-3 times that many Japanese killed. The use of nuclear weapons saved many lives - millions actually.

You are certainly right about Iwo Jima being a killing field for the US - the sand was like quicksand and the Japanese had pre-sighted all the landing areas so they had no trouble hitting American targets - also, the beach head was narrow as they had trouble moving off the beach so the US had a lot of soldiers in a small area which the Japanese shelled at will. I suspect the landing beaches on Japan itself would have been as bad or worse...

LarryT