I believe that was the contention at the time, and given the circumstances and
experiences up to that point, seems like a valid conclusion.

We have a friend who is Filipino that saw the Japanese rape and kill her mother
and sister during their occupation of the Philippines during WW2. It goes
without saying that she has very strong opinions about them as a people.

Dan