Squid can work as an FTP proxy, and I imagine in your case it probably
does.  Try setting it and trying the pkg_add command again.

Additionally, you'll want to make sure that your proxy environment
variables are being passed through sudo.  If sudo is configured to use
env_reset and env_keep and it isn't retaining those variables then the
proxy won't be used at all.

-Eugene