On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 02:44:42PM -0800, Gene wrote:
> quirks-2.52 signed on 2015-02-14T12:43:06Z
> Error from
> http://ftp.hostserver.de/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/curl-7.40.0.tgz
> ftp: connect: No route to host
>
> It's using ftp. I'm not familiar with how package management works with
> OpenBSD, so I don't know if this is a weird quirk of the pkg_add command or
> if he's not setting his package source properly.

pkg_add does not do network connections directly for protocols where ftp(1)
does know how to deal.

pkg_add, however, closes connections aggressively when it's got the info
it needs. If, somehow, your ftp setup is broken, then you might overflow
the server with 100s of connections.

Just do something like:

ftp
http://ftp.hostserver.de/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/curl-7.40.0.tgz

(manually)

close it halfway thru using ^C. If you don't see the connection being terminated
properly, then you don't need to look further. That's your whole issue.

or do it on something larger like
http://ftp.hostserver.de/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/texlive_base-2013p3.tgz

so that you have time to abort before the whole transfer is finished.