On 02/17/15 17:44, Gene wrote:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 2:37 PM, trondd <tro...@gmail.com> wrote:

He's using http protocol.  Just because the hostname has ftp in it,
doesn't mean it's the ftp protocol.

It's not just the hostname I'm basing it off of, it's the error message:

good try, but no.

~ $ sudo pkg_add -ui
quirks-2.52 signed on 2015-02-14T12:43:06Z
Error from
http://ftp.hostserver.de/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/curl-7.40.0.tgz
  ^^^^  The URL used: clearly http.

ftp: connect: No route to host
  ^^^ The program that produced that error message.

It's using ftp. I'm not familiar with how package management works with
OpenBSD, so I don't know if this is a weird quirk of the pkg_add command or
if he's not setting his package source properly.

it's using the ftp(1) FTP client, which (in OpenBSD) does a wonderful job of fetching things via the HTTP protocol as well as the FTP protocol.

now, he says it is blowing up after around 100 states. Sounds like his firewall/proxy/whatever is limiting the state count per station. Goodness knows this works very well usually, so it's something different between his system and mine...and I'm putting my money on his firewall or proxy.

Nick.

Also, yes, I believe sudo only carries over the environment variables
explicitly told to do so.

Can you download packages with a web browser?  Have you tried using
the ftp program directly?

When you loose connection, can you get to other web sites or is your
entire network connection down?  Do you have access to the Fitz!Box or
whatever to see what it's doing?