On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 02:06:51AM +0000, Ralph Siegler wrote:
> Linux on Power8 provides a way to run certain  closed source softwares
> that are certified to run on  Linux on PowerPC. Of course, those
> softwares generally run even faster on AIX with less "loose ends" and
> bugs because they were specifically developed and tuned for a couple
> decades using bespoke tools before recent porting to Linux.

Hmm. OpenBSD's license does not in any way prohibit using closed source
software with it. Would it be better than AIX or Linux?
Maybe. Or maybe not. Speed has not been the primary goal of OpenBSD.
Which is OK for me. But, for such a high priced box, I think speed might
be way up there or would reliability be more important?

For example, scientific software would definitely place more emphasis on
precise and accurate calculations rather than speed.

> Developers are interested in that architecture you say...yes I believe
> that.  I'm a photographer and am interested in a Hasselblad H5D-200c
> which the body alone goes for $45,000.  I can't afford one, let alone
> say  put a lens on it, have no earthly use that would  require
> one.....but dang if it isn't cool.
> >
> > Below you suggest getting going with Power6 and 7, which are much
> > cheaper to purchase.
> >
> > Would it be reasonable to look at this the other way around:
> >
> > Develop the Power8 architecture now so that when prices fall later,
> > companies can then afford to buy them and immediately use a developed
> > and tested OpenBSD on them?
> Develop for architecture none of the userbase has or will have for five
> plus years?   Of course the BSD licensed open source drivers that IBM
> will provide for all that poop that flies by in the five minute POST time
> will make the job easier, and the megabytes of spec docs they've
> written...cause they wouldn't have the gall to  hand over BLOBs for
> hardware without full specs....

Supposedly, IBM is energetically supporting Open Source for this.

> We'll have to make the BSD foundation thermometer taller for N devs times
> $170 month or more extra electric bill.

If IBM is really interested in Open Source, they might just decide to
donate to the OpenBSD Foundation. Would pay the electric bill

But talk is not action.

General question:
Would Power8 lead to using Power9, Power10, etc?

Chris Bennett