On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 11:48:04 -0600, Jack J. Woehr wrote:

> Chris Bennett wrote:
>> Does anyone need a Power8?
>
> Chris, this is the hottest high-end server in the IBM universe today.

> The Power8 *needs* OpenBSD because they don't have a really good
> firewalling regimen at that level.

Ya know, I actually admin some AIX Power8 boxes besides the Linux and BSD
at work, and put together the specs for two employer just purchased  for
G/L application

and openbsd is my favorite server OS

BUT

no one is going to buy box from product line that starts at $11,000 (non-
expandable entry level box) to run pf on 1 of its six cores.   That's
crazy talk.  And anu more usual power8 box is going to be $50K and up.
x86-64 would be much more cost effective for any app where OpenBSD shines
like web server, mail, dns, firewall, router, etc. and etc.

There is zero need, use or justification for openbsd on power8 in 2016.
People buy power8 because there is app that requires it or other Unix
with a (TM) after it.

For the low end expandable $26,000 each boxes, well at least a body only
need plug in two of the four 900W power supplies if only single six-core
cpu is installed,  can keep electric bill low that way. HA!

I especially like the comment about wanting openbsd port for power8
desktop or laptop....someone never lifted a power8 chip plus heat sink I
can tell

What would be *useful* is Power6 port that could optionally run on later
models, some good deals on ebay with power7 going for $3k and up)    But
IBM isn't going to help with that.