Also check that the cam sprocket is located in the right place on the cam.
If the tooth broke off of the cam gear then it could rotate causing the
timing to be incorrect. Did you mention that the cam sprocket had a broken
locating tooth?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CA%2BV5SC-9wxnRY%2BuMPrjnTN92CRtAqshB0B66mxFKc-Py_Dtdcg%40mail.gmail.com.