Dear Marsha --

Since you went to the trouble of quoting generously from Ant's doctoral thesis, I thought it might provide a useful reference for squaring some of my differences and agreements with the Quality thesis. In this way you, Arlo, and others may see that I am not here to condemn the MoQ, nor am I "totally antagonistic" toward Pirsig's tenets.

-------------

"This formulation is a tool towards understanding concepts such as the not-self (or anatta) doctrine that is not handled particularly well by binary logic. So, as with every static value pattern, the notion of the ‘self’ in Buddhist philosophy is not simply considered an ‘illusion’ or an entity (as claimed by some Christian understandings of the ‘soul’) with an inherent self-existence.

"That is, everything exists by being related to everything else (‘dependent co- origination’ is the usual term), but does not exist by itself. There is no way to state this in a way that conforms to Aristotelian logic. Hence the need for the logic of contradictory identity. The self exists by negating itself, as Nishida puts it. So, the phrase ‘the self is an illusion’ is just as much an error in Buddhist philosophy as ‘the self exists’. The traditional Buddhist formulation is the
  tetralemma:

One cannot say that the self exists. One cannot say that the self does not exist. One cannot say that self both exists and does not exist. One cannot say that the self neither exists nor does not exist.
                                                           (Roberts, 2004)"

-------------

Except for the Tetralemma (which exploits contradiction for poetic purposes) and the notion of self-negation (only Essence can negate itself), I have no problem with this analysis of Buddhist ontology. I particularly like the first sentence: "everything exists by being related to everything else (‘dependent co-origination is the usual term), but does not exist by itself." Indeed, existence is the relational mode of being in which finite things and temporal events are presented to the self for evaluation and cognitive (logical) interpretation.

As for "the existence/non-existence of self" paradox, this can be resolved simply by recognizing that, unlike objects and events which constitute the phenomena of experience, selfness is the conscious locus of what exists. That is why the self is designated as the 'subject' of existence rather than as an 'existent' per se. For the sake of clarity, I use the term "sensibility" to describe the conscious self and "phenomena" to define the physical objects of its experience.

-------------

"Though he doesn’t knowingly employ the logic of the tetralemma, Pirsig does share numerous ontological beliefs with Buddhist philosophy such as Nagarjuna’s (c.300a, p.251) perception that the unconditioned (or Dynamic) is the fundamental nature of the conditioned (or static):

In their ultimate nature things are devoid of conditionedness and contingency belongs to this level. This very truth is revealed by also saying that all things ultimately enter the indeterminate dharma or that within the heart of every conditioned entity (as its core, as its true essence, as its very real nature) there is the indeterminate dharma. While the one expresses the transcendence of the ultimate reality, the other speaks of its immanence. The one says that the ultimate reality is not an entity apart and wholly removed from the determinate,
  but is the real nature of the determinate itself.
                                                          (Cooper,2002)

(McWatt, A Critical Analysis of Robert Pirsig’s Metaphysics of Quality,pp.55-56)

Although these two pages deal specifically with Nagarjuna's ontology, I assume the Cooper excerpt was included to demonstrate its metaphysical parallel or commonality with Pirsig's philosophy. If so, what Cooper describes as "the ultimate nature of things" represents Pirsig's Dynamic Quality, while "conditionedness and contingency" are the experienced aspects of static quality.

I was pleased to note Cooper's choice of words in describing the "indeterminate dharma" which expresses the transcendence of ULTIMATE REALITY. "As its core, as its true ESSENCE, as its very real nature there is the indeterminate dharma" [which] "speaks of its immanence." He goes on to explain that "the one ...is not an entity apart and wholly removed from the determinate, but is the real nature of the determinate itself." This is, in fact, the fundamental fundamental premise of Essentialism. Unfortunately, it is missing (possibly hidden?) in Pirsig's exposition.

Thanks for this opportuity, Marsha. I hope I have not misconstrued the metaphysics that Ant (and Cooper) outlined above.

Essentially speaking,
Ham