I sold some cables recently and it clearly stated shipping to USA lower 48 states was $20.  The buyer showed me the invoice he got from eBay and it indicated "shipping free".  The buyer refused to pay shipping and wanted to cancel the sale. I bit the cost and lost money on the transaction.    I hate their shipping calculator. The system should just wait for an invoice from seller who can properly figure postage to wherever the buyer is.

Also postage in Canada and USA is wayyyy too expensive compared to overseas    - shipping from China costs seller practically nothing (price + shipping = $0.99  - how do they do that?  simple, the buyers country subsidized the shipping. Thanks all you citizens for supporting China Post and Hong Kong Post etc.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: 'threeneurons' via neonixie-l <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Date: September 19, 2016 at 6:34 PM

I've been having a little (losing) battle with eBay lately, on about international shipping. I've been shorted on 4 transactions, in the last month. Their customer service reps are totally ignorant of their own policies. In the modern age, that, sadly, seems to be the norm. I've made 4 calls. On the middle two, the reps, looked at the transactions, and noted the difference, between what the charged, and my actual costs. They acted as if they would reimburse me, my shortfall. Today, I noticed a buyer, in Japan ordered two supply kits, but was only charged $6.97. The post office will charge me $13.50. The first flunky, today, told me that I setup my shipping parameters incorrectly. Which is an off-the-cuff blame the seller excuse. I eventually managed to get to his supervisor. He told me two very important things, none of the past calls provided: (1) No reimbursements period. eBay Policy. (2) The shipping cost was not based on my shipping parameters, but the minimum US Postal Service price, for an ENVELOPE, containing tangible merchandise (not just paperwork).

I cancelled the transaction. Changed my setting to "no international shipping", on that one item. The lower flunky, told me international buyers, can still put the item in their shopping cart, but need to contact me, in order to pay for it. So then, I can properly invoice them. His supervisor told me, to click "off" combined shipping, again, allowing me to invoice the buyer, once they see the "sticker shock" shipping charge.

I ONLY SHIP IN BOXES --- PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe, some replacement parts, in an envelope, but never a KIT.

From the US it cost me: $9.50 minimum, to ship to Canada.
It cost either: $13.25/$13.50/$13.75 minimum, to ship to any other country (outside the US - I have to include this because too many Americans, are a little thick). Don't even ask about: UPS, FedEx, or DHL. All way higher !

Also, if any of you know a lawyer, that's in the "class action" business, put in your 2 cents. eBay really should have an option of making the seller, the final arbiter, of setting the price, before the buyer can pay.

I have, and always will, refund excessive shipping charges paid.