I agree Mez. I remained on some of the lists because the spam.art on them
didn't bother me - it even entertained. Other lists I left as I found the
work trying. But I do remember some people getting quite upset. It was the
same with the flame-wars (before we developed more sophisticated online
social capabilities). I have to take my share of the blame for stressing
some people out unnecessarily.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
s.bi...@eca.ac.uk  si...@littlepig.org.uk
Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor  edinburgh college of art
http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research into CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/
Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts

> From: mez breeze <netwur...@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:08:37 +1000
> To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
> <netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>
> Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] Invitation to join me
>
> ...having been 1 of the celebrated "spam artists" back in the days of
> Integer>NN, it was a [relatively easy] option then [as it is now] 2 set up
> filters/blocks in regards 2 material list users find
> objectionable/overloading. i do agree, simon, that it might b deemed
> arrogant to deluge ppl with mammoth data hits: i think to associate this
> with the 7-11 list outpourings we did back in the late 90's is misleading.
> the art lists we "spam"/net.artists utilized knew full-well about our art
> practices + most encouraged it. context, content + the mechanisms of
> exclusion should b examined here as well as allusions 2 data-deluges;)
>
> chunks,
> @netwurker
>
> --
> Reality Engineer>
> Synthetic Environment Strategist>
> Game[r + ] Theorist.
> ::http://unhub.com/netwurker ::
>

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Simon Biggs <s.bi...@eca.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Spammer art was a pain when we all had dial up and slow connections. It
>> cost
>> money as we paid for the minute (or MB). These days, for most of us, spam,
>> art or not, is more an annoyance than an injury. However, there are many
>> parts of the world who are still on capped, slow and pay per unit
>> connections. In that context it is potentially arrogant, even injurious, to
>> deluge people with data who weren't expecting it.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> Simon Biggs
>> s.bi...@eca.ac.uk  si...@littlepig.org.uk
>> Skype: simonbiggsuk
>> http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
>>
>> Research Professor  edinburgh college of art
>> http://www.eca.ac.uk/
>> Creative Interdisciplinary Research into CoLlaborative Environments
>> http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
>> Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
>> http://www.elmcip.net/
>> Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
>> http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts
>>

>>> From: Helen Sloan <he...@scansite.org>
>>> Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:19:40 +0100
>>> To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
>>> <netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] Invitation to join me
>>>
>>> Dear Karens,
>>>
>>> I remember Integer, NN etc well and spent hours deleting their prolific
>>> contributions to listings ­ some of which I looked at and others went
>>> unread. It¹s true that there was a mass exodus from Syndicate during that
>>> time which was a pity as it did good things ­ and it never really
>> recovered.
>>> Finally, I understood what was going on but felt  a little sad as well.
> [...]

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number
SC009201