Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:59:35 -700
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: address


Bonnie:

     Net-Tamer is not purposely designed to sort E-Mail as it exists 
in MAIL.DLU -- the normal received E-Mail file. Net-Tamer WILL use 
whatever is declared as a sort method in its setup to sort other .DLU 
files. The same is true of .PRU archive files. I don't know the 
reason why David Colston intends that there be no sorting in 
MAIL.DLU, but I suspect he does not allow sorting there so that 
messages stay in sequence. As you may know, when you sort a newsgroup 
folder by date, subject, or author order, you'll often find that 
messages are sorted out of sequential order within the declared 
criteria so that replies often appear before the message to which the 
reply was written. That's in the nature of USENET, and often happens 
whether a USENET newsgroup file is sorted or not. However, this is a 
different matter in E-Mail and in E-Mail list groups like this group. 
To some folks, it's important that an original message precede a 
reply to that message instead of the other way around. Yet, date, 
subject, and author sorting in Net-Tamer often results in 
presentation of messages in reverse sequential order or in some other 
nonsequential order within the subject, date, or author sort 
criteria. That's to say Net-Tamer would sort all message into those 
occurring under a particular subject, for example, but the order of 
who wrote first and who wrote in reply often gets all mixed up.

                  Walter Scott

In Message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nettamer List 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had the following to say on Fri, 11 Feb 2000 
06:49:08 -0500:

Quoting: bonnie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:35:11 +700

NL>.................................................. One of the
NL>bugs in this is that sometimes, the sort function goes crazy on
NL>me and doesn't sort the email, so in the past, I've lost gobs
NL>and bunches of email at a time, which didn't make me a happy
NL>camper. So today, the numbers were there, but it wouldn't let
NL>me have the new msgs. So, in my "uninfinite" wisdom, I took the
NL>file and copied it to another file, and I resorted the copied
NL>file. I then erased the original file and copied it back into
NL>the original .dlu file, and it worked. Now, if none of that
NL>makes sense, I'm sorry. But at least today, that trick worked!

 
<><><> News & Views, 7 Days A Week, 24 Hours A Day, Are The Net <><><>

NTReader v0.17a(O)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to