Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:04:12 +0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blacklisted

On 2000-04-13 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >For the record: Over the years, I've owned Hayes, USR, Practical
   >Peripherals, Fastcomm, Everex and several lesser brands of modem.
   >None of them behaved differently on dialing strings than I've
   >described for the process in the USR Sportster. And yes, I've tried
   >the ATD,T and ATD,P options from Net-Tamer. They function as
   >intended -- to build in a pause after the modem goes off-hook and
   >before a phone number is dialed. The pause is essential for those
   >on a phone line that is slow to provide dialtone once the modem
   >attached to that phone line goes off-hook. Many phone systems
   >across the World have this problem.
   >Walter Scott

Walter, you are correct.  For some reason, when I tried the string 
"ATD,T" followed by a number using a terminal mode the other day, it 
didn't work for me, i.e. it didn't dial the number.  However, testing it 
this morning, it worked just fine.  I can't say I've actually seen it 
documented in an example other than in Net-Tamer because any 
documentation I've seen just shows "," as a valid modifier for "ATD" but 
doesn't suggest it can be inserted before "P" or "T" in the dialing 
string.  

I can see now that there's no particular reason the modem can't process 
the "," anywhere after "ATD".  I think we've all seen "," suggested as a 
pause in front of a number, e.g. ",555-1212" or ",9,,555-1212" and I 
know it can be used that way in Net-Tamer in the User Defaults where you 
enter phone numbers.  If "ATD,T" had worked the other day, I wouldn't 
have doubted you <g>.  By the way, "ATD" still works as a dialing string 
for Lucent-based modems and that _is_ documented for those modems.

BTW, of the modems you mentioned, I haven't actually owned any of those 
brands, but have used all of them other than the Fastcomm.

Ronald Dailey

-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to