Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 07:46:42 -400
From: Tom Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blacklisted
On 14th Apr 00 at 11.09am, Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
NL>Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:04:12 +0700 From: "Ronald C.
NL>Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: Blacklisted
NL>On 2000-04-13 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
NL>>For the record: Over the years, I've owned Hayes, USR,
NL>Practical >Peripherals, Fastcomm, Everex and several lesser
NL>brands of modem. >None of them behaved differently on dialing
NL>strings than I've >described for the process in the USR
NL>Sportster. And yes, I've tried >the ATD,T and ATD,P options
NL>from Net-Tamer. They function as >intended -- to build in a
NL>pause after the modem goes off-hook and >before a phone
NL>number is dialed. The pause is essential for those >on a
NL>phone line that is slow to provide dialtone once the modem
NL>>attached to that phone line goes off-hook. Many phone systems
NL>>across the World have this problem. >Walter Scott
NL>Walter, you are correct. For some reason, when I tried the
NL>string "ATD,T" followed by a number using a terminal mode the
NL>other day, it didn't work for me, i.e. it didn't dial the
NL>number. However, testing it this morning, it worked just
NL>fine. I can't say I've actually seen it documented in an
NL>example other than in Net-Tamer because any documentation
NL>I've seen just shows "," as a valid modifier for "ATD" but
NL>doesn't suggest it can be inserted before "P" or "T" in the
NL>dialing string.
NL>I can see now that there's no particular reason the modem
NL>can't process the "," anywhere after "ATD". I think we've
NL>all seen "," suggested as a pause in front of a number, e.g.
NL>",555-1212" or ",9,,555-1212" and I know it can be used that
NL>way in Net-Tamer in the User Defaults where you enter phone
NL>numbers. If "ATD,T" had worked the other day, I wouldn't
NL>have doubted you <g>. By the way, "ATD" still works as a
NL>dialing string for Lucent-based modems and that _is_
NL>documented for those modems.
NL>BTW, of the modems you mentioned, I haven't actually owned any
NL>of those brands, but have used all of them other than the
NL>Fastcomm.
I've owned several modems -- not counting the VICModem and Total
Tele-Learning modems for the Commodore 8-bit stuff I used to rely on --
but only one (and a half, if you count the old daughterboard) modem
manufactured by U.S. Robotics, which I am using right now. ATD on all
of the modems I've owned that will take the AT commands -- Avatex 1200
(Hayes "look-alike"), Avatex 1200e (a larger subset of the Hayes command
set), SupraModem 2400, Multi-Tech 224e (2400 w/MNP 2-5), SupraFAXModem
V.32bis, and the USR Courier HST Dual Standard/V.Everything -- all used
ATD to pull the modem offhook in originate mode, and ATA to pull it
offhook in answer mode. I just tried the ATD,T combination, and I got a
pause before dialing, giving me effectively a longer dial tome. I also
tried mixing pulse and tone -- ATDP234T1212 -- and I got a mixture
alright, but also got a message from the phone company that it couldn't
complete my call as dialed, that I had to dial "1" first. :-)
-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
Chocolate: the *only* foodgroup. All others are necessary evils.
NTReader v0.23(P)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************