Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:42:06 +0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blacklisted

On 2000-04-16 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >I've owned several modems -- not counting the VICModem and Total
   >Tele-Learning modems for the Commodore 8-bit stuff I used to rely
   >on -- but only one (and a half, if you count the old daughterboard)
   >modem manufactured by U.S. Robotics, which I am using right now.
   >ATD on all of the modems I've owned that will take the AT commands
   >-- Avatex 1200 (Hayes "look-alike"), Avatex 1200e (a larger subset
   >of the Hayes command set), SupraModem 2400, Multi-Tech 224e (2400
   >w/MNP 2-5), SupraFAXModem V.32bis, and the USR Courier HST Dual
   >Standard/V.Everything -- all used ATD to pull the modem offhook in
   >originate mode, and ATA to pull it offhook in answer mode.  I just

That's what ATD would do on all modems I ever had or used, too.  It was 
only when I got an AT&T Paradyne Dataport that I found a modem that 
specifically said it would dial a number using ATD, e.g. ATD5551212.

   >tried the ATD,T combination, and I got a pause before dialing,
   >giving me effectively a longer dial tome.  I also tried mixing
   >pulse and tone -- ATDP234T1212 -- and I got a mixture alright, but
   >also got a message from the phone company that it couldn't complete
   >my call as dialed, that I had to dial "1" first.  :-)

That's what I found would also work with the Zoom 2949L (Lucent chipset) 
and it will dial a number using the same method as the old Paradyne 
(e.g. ATD5551212).  According to documentation on the old Paradyne, that 
modem can recognize only certain letters of the alphabet as part of the 
dialing string after ATDT or ATDP and "T" isn't one of them (with the 
Paradyne, only 0-9, *, #, A, B, C, D can be dialed touch tone, and if 
using pulse only 0-9 can be dialed).  However, I've just tried this with 
my Zoom 2949L (Lucent chipset) and it behaves just as your modem did.  
In other words, if I do a string like this ATDP555T1212, it will dial 
the first three digits (555) using pulse dialing and then the next four 
(1212) using tone, but then I get a message from the phone company, 
"We're sorry, your call did not go through.  Will you please hang up and 
try again?"

I think the switch at the CO doesn't like the call to be made using a 
combination of pulse and tones.  I suspect they require that if you set 
up for pulse or for tone, you dial the whole number to complete the call 
in the same mode.  After that you could switch from pluse to tone to use 
a automated entry system that requires tone input, for example, assuming 
you had caused the modem to return to command mode by using ";" at the 
end of the phone number.  I haven't run into anything where I'd need to 
do this in conjunction with using a modem, but someone might want to.

Ron


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to