Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 06:26:42 -400
From: Tom Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blacklisted


On 17th Apr 00 at 10.42am, Ronald C. Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

RC>On 2000-04-16 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

RC>>I've owned several modems -- not counting the VICModem and
RC>Total >Tele-Learning modems for the Commodore 8-bit stuff I
RC>used to rely >on -- but only one (and a half, if you count
RC>the old daughterboard) >modem manufactured by U.S. Robotics,
RC>which I am using right now. >ATD on all of the modems I've
RC>owned that will take the AT commands >-- Avatex 1200 (Hayes
RC>"look-alike"), Avatex 1200e (a larger subset >of the Hayes
RC>command set), SupraModem 2400, Multi-Tech 224e (2400 >w/MNP
RC>2-5), SupraFAXModem V.32bis, and the USR Courier HST Dual
RC>>Standard/V.Everything -- all used ATD to pull the modem
RC>offhook in >originate mode, and ATA to pull it offhook in
RC>answer mode.  I just

RC>That's what ATD would do on all modems I ever had or used,
RC>too.  It was only when I got an AT&T Paradyne Dataport that I
RC>found a modem that specifically said it would dial a number
RC>using ATD, e.g. ATD5551212.

Oh, yeah...I think that's mostly the Hayes standard.  The modem defaults
to the last mode used.

RC>>tried the ATD,T combination, and I got a pause before
RC>dialing, >giving me effectively a longer dial tome.  I also
RC>tried mixing >pulse and tone -- ATDP234T1212 -- and I got a
RC>mixture alright, but >also got a message from the phone
RC>company that it couldn't complete >my call as dialed, that I
RC>had to dial "1" first.  :-)

RC>That's what I found would also work with the Zoom 2949L
RC>(Lucent chipset) and it will dial a number using the same
RC>method as the old Paradyne (e.g. ATD5551212).  According to
RC>documentation on the old Paradyne, that modem can recognize
RC>only certain letters of the alphabet as part of the dialing
RC>string after ATDT or ATDP and "T" isn't one of them (with the
RC>Paradyne, only 0-9, *, #, A, B, C, D can be dialed touch tone,
RC>and if using pulse only 0-9 can be dialed).  However, I've
RC>just tried this with my Zoom 2949L (Lucent chipset) and it
RC>behaves just as your modem did. In other words, if I do a
RC>string like this ATDP555T1212, it will dial the first three
RC>digits (555) using pulse dialing and then the next four
RC>(1212) using tone, but then I get a message from the phone
RC>company, "We're sorry, your call did not go through.  Will
RC>you please hang up and try again?"

With the Courier, at least, if I want to add letters, I have to put them
in quotes -- 1800"EATDIRT", f'rinstance.  Asterisk and pound can stand
on their own, though.

RC>I think the switch at the CO doesn't like the call to be made
RC>using a combination of pulse and tones.  I suspect they
RC>require that if you set up for pulse or for tone, you dial
RC>the whole number to complete the call in the same mode.
RC>After that you could switch from pluse to tone to use a
RC>automated entry system that requires tone input, for example,
RC>assuming you had caused the modem to return to command mode
RC>by using ";" at the end of the phone number.  I haven't run
RC>into anything where I'd need to do this in conjunction with
RC>using a modem, but someone might want to.

Could be.  Wonder if the phone company needs a beta tester for its
software.  :-)  I'm good at discovering bugs.


-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI

Carrier? We don't need *(&#| NO STINKING CARRIER

NTReader v0.24a(P)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer




********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to