Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:49:08 0
From: John Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Poll on buying Nettamer PPP socket (was -  will someone remind me


Hi Heimo

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:13:13 -0500 at 10.13am Nettamer List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

  NL>It would indeed be Colston's appreciation of the "market", jaygee:

  NL>Though he might consider (perhaps, very perhaps) that there's a rather
  NL>much larger DOS-using public "out there" than the Nettamer-only users.

I've always believed that to be the case but I have a feeling the DOS
using population is shrinking faster than we think.

  NL>Despite of the fact that Nettamer's author is on the record to despise
  NL>of the various Lynxes of being no match, these are by far the better
  NL>*browsers*; and they are further developed; and they are the only text
  NL>browsers worth that name which exist...

The need for Lynxes depends on the DOS userbase obviously but from
what I've seen of recently designed websites most of them reflect the
fact that over 80% of web users now use IE4+ with 16bit color
monitors at 800x600 resolution. In this environment what chance will
alternatives have?

  NL>It would be difficult to quantify but I dare guess that the potential
  NL>market of a good socket could be somewhere between some ten times and
  NL>a thousand times the present Nettamer user basis. (And there are lots
  NL>of newcomers - once a DOS setup works, it's much faster and simpler to
  NL>do mail, get at a web document. Between ten and twenty seconds to fire
  NL>up a laptop and get it online in DOS, compare that to the endless waits
  NL>with any of the alternatives.)

I accept your estimate of the potential socket market but I have to
say that my recent experience of setting up a Win2000 system showed
me that MS have, IMO, made significant progress on simplifying net
setup, access and usage. What's now needed is for MS to make similar
progress in the broader field of user accessibility.

Cheers

jaygee

Mailer: NT v1.11.2  Reader: NTR v0.29b(P)/Beta Registered




********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to