On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 9:48 PM, DANNY DOLAN <[email protected]> wrote:

> yea either that or somone that knows what there doing that learning about
> bikes is a bitch sometimes
>
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM, bull city <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Thanks everyone for your help. I think I have found the resource for
>> the Nighthawk (which is evidently discontinued this year).
>>
>> Slave is apart and clean, nothing to replace but the rubber. I'll
>> order it and get back on it next weekend.
>>
>> I took the side cover off and the engine turns.
>>
>> Thanks again everyone for your help.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Oct 24, 7:15 pm, DANNY DOLAN <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > if u dis connect the hose it will
>> >
>> > On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> > >   Removing the slave cylinder should not cause any loss of oil. Now,
>> since
>> > > there was just a question about a rusted solid 450 (sitting for years)
>> I
>> > > might ask if you have tried turning the crankshaft on your project
>> bike to
>> > > ensure it isn't fallen to same fate ? I'll assume it is OK. I wouldn't
>> run a
>> > > bike with suspect oil. I'd change it and put in some cheap garbage.
>> After it
>> > > runs for a bit, and you are sure it's a viable project, change it
>> again. Use
>> > > good stuff. The first change is just a flush. Keep us posted, this is
>> one
>> > > place you're not alone.
>> >
>> > > --- On *Fri, 10/23/09, bull city <[email protected]>* wrote:
>> >
>> > > From: bull city <[email protected]>
>> > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 83 550 clutch will not engage.
>> > > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]
>> >
>> > > Date: Friday, October 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
>> >
>> > > Dennis...thanks for the reply- Should I drain the engine of oil before
>> > > I do this? Keep in mind that this bike has not been started for 6
>> > > years and all of the oil is in the pan.
>> >
>> > > On Oct 22, 11:23 pm, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]<
>> http://mc/[email protected]>>
>> > > wrote:
>> > > > The clutch hydraulic system has air in it. Bleeding a clutch is no
>> fun.
>> > > Remove the slave cylinder and clamp it to prevent it from moving out.
>> Do not
>> > > compress it, just retain it. When it can't move outward, the air can
>> be
>> > > bled.
>> > > > # the clutch assembly is not like a brake, a brake will lock up,
>> clutch
>> > > does not. By clamping it you give the piston something solid to push
>> against
>> > > and develop a pressure.
>> > > > Try this first and if no success, get back to me. There are further
>> > > methods to bleed off air.
>> >
>> > > > --- On Thu, 10/22/09, bull city <[email protected]<
>> http://mc/[email protected]>>
>> > > wrote:
>> >
>> > > > From: bull city <[email protected]<
>> http://mc/[email protected]>
>> >
>> > > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] 83 550 clutch will not engage.
>> > > > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <
>> [email protected]<
>> http://mc/[email protected]>
>>  >
>> > > > Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 2:43 PM
>> >
>> > > > Got the new bike and I am going through to get everything
>> > > > functioning.
>> >
>> > > > The brakes were locked, I took them off, pressed the piston back in,
>> > > > flushed with new fluid and they seem to be doing well. I plan on
>> > > > rebuilding them as soon as I get everything functioning. No point in
>> > > > spending money on something before assessing the whole bike.
>> >
>> > > > The clutch: the master cylinder was pretty much dry. The clutch
>> wound
>> > > > not engage and there was no resistance on the lever. So I flushed
>> the
>> > > > system with new brake fluid. The bleed hose was coming out clear and
>> I
>> > > > was getting a lot pushed out with every squeeze. But- I never got
>> any
>> > > > resistance on the lever, the clutch would still not engage. What
>> > > > should I look for next?
>> >
>> > > > I haven't started the bike yet and no battery is hooked up at the
>> > > > moment.
>> >
>> > > > Thanks-
>> >>
>>
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

<<attachment: 2420_CLUTCH.gif>>

Reply via email to