Open the end cover and turn the crank with a wrench. 
Examine the piston and cylinder for pitting before a rebuild. If OK, clean out 
and polish with some of that 3M scrubby stuff. Just smooth enough to a finger 
nail is good.  

--- On Sat, 10/24/09, bull city <[email protected]> wrote:

From: bull city <[email protected]>
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 83 550 clutch will not engage.
To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]>
Date: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 8:44 AM


Thanks for the help. I have a battery coming in next week. I'll try to
turn it over then.  It looks like the seals for rebuilding the slave
are around 10 bucks. Not bad. I'll try to get that done this weekend.

On Oct 23, 11:51 pm, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]> wrote:
> Removing the slave cylinder should not cause any loss of oil. Now, since 
> there was just a question about a rusted solid 450 (sitting for years) I 
> might ask if you have tried turning the crankshaft on your project bike to 
> ensure it isn't fallen to same fate ? I'll assume it is OK. I wouldn't run a 
> bike with suspect oil. I'd change it and put in some cheap garbage. After it 
> runs for a bit, and you are sure it's a viable project, change it again. Use 
> good stuff. The first change is just a flush. Keep us posted, this is one 
> place you're not alone.
>
> --- On Fri, 10/23/09, bull city <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> From: bull city <[email protected]>
> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 83 550 clutch will not engage.
> To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]>
> Date: Friday, October 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
>
> Dennis...thanks for the reply- Should I drain the engine of oil before
> I do this? Keep in mind that this bike has not been started for 6
> years and all of the oil is in the pan.
>
> On Oct 22, 11:23 pm, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The clutch hydraulic system has air in it. Bleeding a clutch is no fun. 
> > Remove the slave cylinder and clamp it to prevent it from moving out. Do 
> > not compress it, just retain it. When it can't move outward, the air can be 
> > bled.
> > # the clutch assembly is not like a brake, a brake will lock up, clutch 
> > does not. By clamping it you give the piston something solid to push 
> > against and develop a pressure.
> > Try this first and if no success, get back to me. There are further methods 
> > to bleed off air.
>
> > --- On Thu, 10/22/09, bull city <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > From: bull city <[email protected]>
> > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] 83 550 clutch will not engage.
> > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]>
> > Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 2:43 PM
>
> > Got the new bike and I am going through to get everything
> > functioning.
>
> > The brakes were locked, I took them off, pressed the piston back in,
> > flushed with new fluid and they seem to be doing well. I plan on
> > rebuilding them as soon as I get everything functioning. No point in
> > spending money on something before assessing the whole bike.
>
> > The clutch: the master cylinder was pretty much dry. The clutch wound
> > not engage and there was no resistance on the lever. So I flushed the
> > system with new brake fluid. The bleed hose was coming out clear and I
> > was getting a lot pushed out with every squeeze. But- I never got any
> > resistance on the lever, the clutch would still not engage. What
> > should I look for next?
>
> > I haven't started the bike yet and no battery is hooked up at the
> > moment.
>
> > Thanks-



__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to