keep trying. I use pieces of 1X2, even a 2X2

On Jan 8, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Dustin Mcclure wrote:

So, this is the first time that I have ever removed the carburetors on
a motorcycle. I have everything cleaned and now I am trying to get
them back on. It took me about an hour and a half to remove the
carburetors but it is taking me forever to get them back on. Any tips?

On Jan 8, 7:26 am, Dustin Mcclure <[email protected]> wrote:
I removed the pilot screws and I was able to access 1 of the passages
that is directly under the pilot screw inside of the chamber but there are also four other holes of the exact same diameter that I could not
reach(they are about an inch further inside of the carb chamber). I
was wondering how I could reach these to clean them out.

PO? If you are talking about the guy who sold me the bike I trust
him....he is my brother in-law. I don't think he was giving me any bs.
It is just the very tip of the pilot screw that is broken off and I
can still screw it in all the way if I put enough pressure on it with
my thumb.

On Jan 7, 4:29 pm, "Allen Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote:







The passages are accessed by removing the pilot screws so it sounds like you got them. However if the points of those screws are buggered up they won't regulate fuel properly, sound like the PO is full of BS on that one.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin Mcclure <[email protected]>

Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 07:55:53
To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!<[email protected]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Just started cleaning my carbs

Luckily I watched a few videos on carb cleaning before I started. I
see that one of the big mistakes people make doing this first time is marring the jets do to overtightening. I have a shop manual that tells
me the proper torque for every screw in the carb I just need to pick
up a torque wrench before I stick my carbs back on.

So far I have already cleaned all of the float chambers. I pulled out
the main and slow jets and cleaned them with a guitar string of the
appropriate width and cleaned the outside with a scotch pad. I made
sure when I was shooting the carb cleaner through all of the
passageways that I removed the diaphragms( I just didn't to remove
these at first because I have  heard that if they swell they may
become unusable). I removed all 4 pilot screws and cleaned them and
their passageways. I could not however find the passageway that leads
to the idle circuit passages. Could you tell me where this is?

From what I have seen so far the carburetor is in pretty good shape.
The inside looked pretty clean and the carb cleaner that I had shot
through all of the passages with ease. The only problem that I saw was that one of the idle screws was broken off at the top but the guy who
owned the bike before me said that two of the idle screws had been
like that before and he replaced one(the bike ran fine then).

Thanks for your time. I plan on putting the carbs back on tonight to
see what happens. Dustin.

On Jan 6, 10:33 pm, Allen Thomas <[email protected]> wrote:
Don't get the carb cleaner on the rubber parts,it pulls the oils from the rubber and makes them brittle, example: the diaphragms you didn't remove.. My experience was that the idle circuit passages are usually what gets clogged, if you look at the engine side of the carburator barrels you will see some small holes (open the butterflies) these are the ones. Though if you have the carbs off the bike anyway you should probably take the time to remove the float bowls and clean the main and slow jets too. The best way to
clean these passages is to remove the pilot jet screws (turn in to
LIGHTLY SEATED first recording the # turns), and the choke plungers, then alternate shooting carb cleaner with compressed air, until you are satisfied that air/fluid shoots out of all of them equally well. Make sure you wear eye protection as the liquid can get you in the face real easy. If you can't get fluid to squirt out of these holes then you will need to soak the carbs which will require a full tear down, and that is a bit of work. also if you remove them from the bar you will have to completely re-sync them. I have read that cooking them in a crock pot full of pinesol or lemon juice on low, does wonders and won't destroy the rubber/plastic parts, but I have
never tried it.

Oh yea, empty the tank of the old crud gas, clean the petcock (look for rust particles as you may have to clean/seal you're tank), replace any inline filters, get a can of seafoam and run that through you're first tank of fresh fuel, and put in some seafoam/stabil if you are not going to run the
bike for more than two weeks.

Thats my recommendations anyway, Welcome to the group, and post some
pictures!
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Dustin Mcclure
<[email protected]>wrote:

I just purchased a 1984 Nighthawk 700S from my brother in- law. I was aware when I started looking at the bike that it was not running
so I had a friend of my parents, who just happens to be a Honda
motorcycle mechanic, come and look at the bike. He told me it just
sounded like the carbs need to be cleaned. So, last night I removed
and disassembled the carbs(except for the diaphragms) and I just
picked up some carb cleaner today along with a bottle of sea foam.

    I am not really too  much of a mechanic  but I understand the
general function of the carburetors. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me of any specific passageways that get clogged
easier than others on these carbs. Is there anything I should pay
close attention to? The reason I am asking is because the carburetors
are really not all that dirty.

    A little more information on the bike. When my brother in-law
bought it the bike ran perfectly(that was within the last year and a half). It seems like it just slowly went down hill until it wouldn't start. I have already disassembled the petcock on the bike and cleaned
it too. The bike turns over fine it just won't fire up. Any
information would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Dustin.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]<nighthawk_lovers% 2Bunsubscrib [email protected]>
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nighthawk_lovers [email protected]. For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/ group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nighthawk_lovers [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/ group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk 
Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to