Hello,

I use a Dell Latitude D630 (at the moment), on which I have been running
Ubuntu 8.10. I recently decided to play around and install the new
release of SimplyMepis. It had some show-stopper issues like no sound
after installing, was very weird and slow about opening links in a
powerpoint, sometimes actually trying to open them in OpenOffice Writer
or Calc!

So I tried openSuse 11.1, again no sound or wireless, and wouldn't even
recognize the NIC port. In Suse's defense, it is a broadcom-based
machine w/Intel's infamous ICH8 chipset, so that _could_ be the problem,
but it's been around long enough to have been worked around. Then I
tried Linux Mint 7 (Gloria). No muss, no fuss, it. just. worked. I did
have to select the Linux Mint driver for the wireless card, but
everything else has been a non-issue. Best of breed at the moment for
the Dell. You might want to give it a look, and it will install from
either CD/DVD or USB. By the way, I installed both openSuse and Linux
Mint while at Gupton Motors in Springfield while waiting for our
bookmobile to be serviced. I had time on my hands, but really, the Mint
was excellent.

Place of purchase for laptop? While not exactly Nashville local,
Newegg.com does have a DC in Memphis. Should your lappy ship from there
you would likely see it in 2 days. Outside of that, I'd shop the usuals
- Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Computers Plus (if you have one).
They sometimes have something that fits the bill at a hell-yes price.

The VMWare solution is totally do-able, and it should also work under
VirtualBox as well. Excellent choice, that, especially if it is just for
basic stuff. I've been running Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.04, Windows XP Pro
and FreeBSD on my Ubuntu 8.10 desktop here at work for experiment and
play.

Hope I've helped!

Jim Peterson
Technology Coordinator