Yes its getting to the bottom of that issue is what I'm interested in.
Nuke shouldn't add these layers when not relevant, so these things cant
propagate but is it what causes this...

Shuffle49.out: Can't select rgba.alpha; it conflicts with other selected
channels

If this is from spurious layers being copied then there is an issue in Nuke,
covered by that bug number which needs to be taken seriously.

Out of interest what was in the add_layer, as the fix I have used so far is
probably a bandage.

Howard