Mike Christie wrote:
> Are you doing iscsi root?

iscsid is running as root - is that what you mean?

> How do you know they become unresponsive? Do you have a ssh session
> and at this time you cannot contact the vm or do you have a console on
> the vm and at that time you cannot run any commands?

ssh sessions hang, SMTP connections hang. It's all network-based
traffic; I haven't tried interacting with the console.

Note that the host itself doesn't hang when one of these failures occur,
just the VMs using iSCSI for disk.

> The iscsi logs show we did not get the command response. So either the
> target droppped a packet or the network dropped something or the
> initiator dropped it in the network processing.
>
> Could you run this again but get a ethereal/wireshark trace at the
> same time? That way we can see if the network layer is getting the packet.

I'm trying to configure something to capture network traffic, but right
now I'm having a hard time getting a functional tshark. Right now, it
looks like it's capturing accurate data, but borking the TCP/UDP
checksums. The next time I have a failure, I'll forward the dump along
to see if it looks useful.

Incidentally, to what extent is user data exposed in the dump? I've
asked some friends to let me run their VMs on citadel-station to try and
increase the probability of an incident occurring, but they presumably
wouldn't appreciate me sending out logs if data from their VM's disk
images can be recovered.

> Could you also run with this patch? In the open-iscsi source do
>
> patch -p1 -i path-to-patch/remove-undef-tcp.patch
>
> then rebuild with
>
> make DEBUG_TCP=1 DEBUG_SCSI=1
> make DEBUG_TCP=1 DEBUG_SCSI=1 install

Huh? Where do I find that patch?

> One other question. Is the iscsi initiator running in the vm or in the
> host? Is this xen or something else like vmware? Could you take the
> ethereal/wireshark trace from wherever iscsi is running so we can see
> what its network layer is getting? If it is running in a guest and you
> can get a ethereal/wireshark trace from both the guest and host that
> would be nice too.

The iscsi initiator is running on the Xen host. We then use clustering
LVM to get LVs on the target that we use as the disks for the VMs.

- Evan