Hi Gordon,

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Tomlinson, Gordon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I know in our case we use vertex index arrays out of need, we have so much
> vertex data and have to share that
> many times that in our use cases we simply cannot have duplicate data , we
> simply cannot afford the memory bloat
> this would cause

It may be a false economy though... as display listing will be
duplicating the vertex data to be able to put in a form that the
hardware can digest, so you may be just moving the memory problems
elsewhere.

> While understand for many using osg::DrawElements*() is the best approach,
> that should not preclude others that need
> The older functionality. I certainly for one would not want this removed from
> osg::Geometry this is simply a critical
> need for us

My thought is to move the vertex indexing support to a subclass of
osg::Geometry, perhaps place it out in osgSim as another hint that
it's not core functionality.  I don't plan on dropping the support
completely for platforms that support it.