Hi Robert

Short answer is yes we get acceptable rates (through hard work  :))
using geometries with indexed array's,

Basically we have a terrain handling system that is capable of handling
the world and doing this on the fly from elevation sources such as DTED
1/2/3 sub meter Lidar data etc and a system that matches this to very
hi-resolution satellite imagery again up to world coverage, our system
handles the  reading, conversion, paging, LODing etc. this is all on the
fly from the raw data ( or saved of cached  from our paging system ) so
basically the amount of data we can be handling is in the hundreds of
millions and more of points and tri's and terra bytes of imagery,

Of course this is not all on the card or in memory we HAVE to manage
that :), but the nature of what we do having to be live ( for many) on
data that's maybe minutes old for many users means we have to be very
dynamic in our data handling, The faster paths would be great but in our
case not a reality at this time for us

We get acceptable rates we don't need 60hz we can live with 15-20 and
thus we have built in checks  to ensure we meet those by using our
dynamic on the fly loading system complexity handling ( also depends on
how much data the uses is throwing at us at any one time)

So we build out geometry on the fly using arrays that are stored in our
fast large paging system as they are read and then feed to geometries
with LODS that have do all the normal stitch to lower levels LODS etc
now we don't change every ting every frame ( we used have a total CLOD
solution but that has other limitations) but have no guarantee on the
life of an thing in the scene :)

Currently the only data that goes thru the normal OSG read node mode is
some of feature data that has models, and next year we hope to add
feature data to our paging and memory handling systems so the we will be
able to handle much more feature data to match out elevation and imagery
capabilities etc

for us right now we havie something that works and down the road I'm
know we will look to improve things adopt newer higher performance ways
were possible

Gordon

Gordon Tomlinson

Product Manager 3D
Email  : gtomlinson @ overwatch.textron.com
(C): (+1) 571-265-2612
(W): (+1) 703-437-7651

"Self defence is not a function of learning tricks
but is a function of how quickly and intensely one
can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura