Hi Gordon,

I intended to use VirtualPlanetBuilder as an example that building
terrain on the fly and at extremely high resolution can be done on the
fly using osgTerrain::TerrainTile.  You needn't use
VirtualPlanetBuidler at all, its the osgTerrain::TerrainTile that is
all you need to leverage.

As an example of how things scale, I've been able to work with VPB
built database with a million vertices on screen running at a solid
60hz, with no frame drops, all with the database being read and
geometry built on the fly.  This example does illustrate that you can
get good performance with dynamically generated database whilst using
vertex buffer objects and OpenGL fast paths.

Robert.