To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
From: R Schwantes <rschwan...@gmail.com>
Sent by: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
Date: 05/06/2009 10:52AM
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Support becoming less and less personal

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd chime in with my .02c.  More and more of the emails I
receive do not have a greeting, or even a signature.  There seems to
be a culture shift In the way 'newschoolers'? send email.  Almost as
if email is heading towards the same format as sms.  I agree that it
is impolite and almost rude (apparently spell check has also gone out
of style), but in my opinion it has become a social problem, bigger
than some code on the forum can fix.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think severing ties with
the forum, or inserting the posters name with code is going to make
this problem go away.  I think this is a problem that is here to stay,
and will probably get worse.

I usually flat out ignore emails without a signature, or reply telling
them to tell me who they are before I send a useful response.

Again just the thoughts of an over caffeinated programmer,
Rick

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Art Tevs <arti_t...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi Jean-Sebastian,
>

> Skylark wrote:
>>
>> My suggestions:
>>
>> 1. When the user clicks "reply" on an existing post, when the template
>> is generated, I guess the forum software could insert the name of the
>> user whose post is being replied to automatically, and at the end the
>> name of the user replying? That would give:
>>
>> ---
>> Hi <name of previous poster>,

>> Thank you!
>> <my name>
>> ---
>>
>> I don't think that would be too hard.
>>

> Ok, I am working now on this possibility. However, I am not sure if we
need to add the <name of previous poster>, because somebody will definitily
loose the track, when replying to the post. For example in the thread XMen
posted something. The last answer will be from Chewbacca. Then the Luke
want to answer to XMen's post, however the template will looks like:

> Hi Chewbacca,
> Cheers,
> Luke
>
> So the XMen will be not happy about that because the post seems to go to
him, but Chewbacca was who was greet by Luke. So, I think just hte neutral
"Hi, " is already enough. I bet, that some of the users wouldn't be able
even to fill out the template well, this is my experience.

>> 2. Perhaps you could remove the "post reply" button at the bottom of the
>> thread page, so that users are forced to reply *to* a previous post,
>> quoting the previous post (which is something that's sorely missing from
>> forum posts as well - most of them have no context at all!).
>>

> Ok, I agree, this would be a nice feature. However, this will take some
time to implement. Because I would like to remove the double quoted
messages out of the reply message. So that we have only one level of depth
in the quoted messages. This is still enough, I think. Otherwise the thread
get polluted by quotes, which isn't really helping a lot.

> As to the use of names. I have first to implement something, that users
can be suspended well. The current roblem is, if I suspend a user and he
post something. Then the message for the mailing list is also generated and
is just waiting to be sent. So if user have a name "Coca Cola" and has
written something. Even if he change then the name when we inform him, the
email will still contain the "Coca Cola" as authors name. This require also
some time to be work well, hence be patient.