Hi Robert,

Scaling up developers with write access to svn is much harder to do.

I don't see that. Both things are mutually exclusive (testing and write access), and if there are people you have confidence in to review low-risk submissions then the trunk can be opened up to a few others. The fact is that right now, there's one person with commit access. If you just increase it to 2 or 3, it's already a 50% or 66% increase, and can potentially mean that much less work for you to do on reviewing submissions. Even factoring in some management overhead that would be a big gain. You don't have to include tens or hundreds of people, just two or three would be a good start.

There's no reason why you should be the only one with all the weight on your shoulders. Yes build breaks will happen, bugs will be introduced, but that can happen even if it's just you! So I don't see how the situation will be worse than it is now.

A president or prime minister doesn't have the weight of all decisions of his country on his own shoulders, he has people around him. Sometimes they'll make mistakes and he'll have to cover for them and sometimes the president himself will make mistakes too. Saying that only the president should take all decisions because that would lead to less mistakes wouldn't lead to better government I think (then again I'm not a political analyst, it's just an analogy...).

I know of no other large open source project that has only one person with write access to the core.

J-S