Hi Paul,

Paul, finding which header is missing from the places where you get the errors would probably not be too hard.

I often do provide fixes, but I'm under the gun to get demos out the door in a few days.

And Robert's under the gun (perhaps his own gun) to get a dev release out the door in a few days too. So suggesting he set up something new at this point in time was the same as him suggesting you fix the code yourself :-)

Also, the general rule for most software development projects is: "you break it, you fix it."

I understand where you're coming from, but the fact is that when there are multiple code paths (and even more so when there are code paths determined at configure-time with #defines) it becomes hard and time-consuming to test each and every combination. I think it's reasonable for Robert to rely on the community for some of this, especially for configurations he doesn't use day to day.

Just look at how many times I've submitted Windows build fixes in the past 3 years - I cut my teeth in OSG submissions on that stuff! For now, I see GL3 as the same thing - OSG's primary developer doesn't use the configuration (he could, I agree, but that's not the point), so it's up to others to test that it builds and runs for now.

Although I also agree with your point that getting an automated build going for each configuration would be easy too, but crunch time was probably not the right time to suggest this...

In effect, both of you were saying "I can't fix this, I'm too busy with other things, you should fix it". And one of you had actually broken it, but the other had the errors right there in front of them. So you both could have fixed it. That's all I wanted to emphasize.

Robert, keep in mind that words account for only a small percentage of communication, which makes it easy to read attitude into someone's text-only post, where none actually exists.

That's so true. Most flame wars start because one poster reads more into the words than what was actually there, and then things escalate.

J-S