Mark C wrote:
FWIW - I just ran some tests with my K1 shooting DNGS and it takes 27 to
28 seconds to clear the buffer. It probably feels like 5 minutes when
things are happening, though. I'm using 64 gig Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I
cards, rated for 90 mb/sec write speeds. The are much faster cards out
there though I don't know if the K1 can take advantage of higher speed
cards (or even if it takes advantage of this card.) If you really are
experiencing several minutes of write time it may be the card.

Thanks to Bruce for the advice. I turned off all lens correction, held the shutter down until the camera stopped taking photos, after about 18 frames the buffer filled, I hit the stop watch and about 30 seconds later the "transfer light" went out.