Well, *IF* I was running Pentax (and yes, I know I'm not), what actual customers who bought previous models had to say about them would be "my" starting point for developing new models and for improving older ones.

What did "we" get right? What did "we" get wrong? What do the customers say they want and are waiting to buy? I understand that granting everything on the customer's wish lists would be impossible, but the engineers should be at least thinking about them.

I'm sure Pentax knows that; I think that's what Mr. Takashi Arai was trying to explain.

Plus, I think you have to account for the interviewer's bias in favor of "mirrorless" cameras and what role it played in how the article was edited & what they chose to quote from the longer interview.

Basically, Takashi Arai said Pentax (& Ricoh) are sticking with what they already do well and aren't going to neglect those things to go off chasing rainbows & unicorns ... for now.