Gary F, Gary R, List,

I always thought that information theorists should study Peircean
semiotics because

"The Peircean sign may be viewed as the fundamental          (042414-1)
carrier of information."

This morning it occurred to me that the Peircean sign, viewed as a
mathematical category, may account for the three aspects of information
simultaneously – i.e., AMOUNT, MEANING, and VALUE thus:

(1) In Step a in Figure 1, an object generates n ‘possible’ signs in the
human brain.
(2)  A ‘possible’ sign determines m ‘possible’ interpretants.
(3)  The human selects only those ‘possible’ signs connected to their
‘possible interpretants’ that are in turn compatible with the object.

                      a                   b
           Object  -------->   Sign   --------->  Interpretant
              |                                         ^
              |_________________________________________|

Figure 1.  The Peircean sign as a mathematical category. a = sign
production; b = meaning production; c = value production.

I am tempted to suggest that the following quantitative relations may hold
for each of the three steps in Figure 1:

a = the AMOUNT of information is determined as log_2 n bits.
b = the MEANING of information is determined as log_2 m bits.
c = the VALUE of information is determined as log_2 (1/D), where D is the
dis-similarity or discrepancy between object and an interpretant which
reduces the probability of action or the belief to act.

With all the bet.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701