Stephen, list,

Ben Udell and I take up these quotations and this theme in a chapter of an
upcoming booked edited by Torkild Thellefsen, et. al., "Charles S. Peirce
in his own Words: 100 years of Semiotics, Communication and Cognition" to
be published, hopefully, just before the Lowell Centennial Congress. For
the book, a number of Peirce scholars were invited to choose a quotation
from Peirce's writings which had most inspired them. I chose the passage
which concludes "Logic is rooted in the social principle" (EP1:149) from
"The Doctrine of Chances" (1878), the third in the* Illustrations of the
Logic of Science* series of articles, preceded by the famous articles, "The
Fixation of Belief" and "How to Make Our Ideas Clear."

Of course I immediately recognized the conclusion of the quoted paragraph,
namely, "Logic is rooted in the social principle," to have been preceded
about a decade earlier in "Grounds of Validity of the Laws of Logic" (1869)
by a  passage having a reverse variant of that quoted sentence, namely,
"So, the social principle is rooted intrinsically in logic" (EP1:81). I
asked Ben if he might consider writing a section of the chapter on that
earlier passage and, while he was not overly familiar with "Grounds of
Validity" (neither was I), he consented to do so.

In any event, I've personally been thinking about these passages for a very
long time. For now the point I'd like to make is that this theme--that
logic is rooted in the social principle which is rooted in logic--cannot be
overstated, especially when one considers that, as we know, logic for
Peirce *is* semiotic. The principle just mentioned is introduced early in
his philosophical career and he never abandons it, restating it in many
ways, especially in later discussions of pragmatism/pragmaticism.

Thanks for reminding us of this, Stephen.

(Btw, it's been discussed on at least two occasions on the list how the two
'reverse' phrases do not represent a logical circularity.)

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*