Gary, List,

I think it's good to remember that Peirce defines Logic as Formal Semiotic,
elsewhere explaining Formal as implying Normative.  This normative aspect has
as much, maybe more, to do with the social rooting of logic as the
communicative or descriptive aspect, and, come to think of it as I write, may
help to explain the double or mutually recursive rooting of logic and the
larger self in one another.

Jon