Dear Stan, lists -
As you know, I'd like to see some results here before I shall be convinced.
I tend to think - a bit in the vein of Stuart Kauffman - that semiotics only 
arises when you have stable, autokatalytic  cycles in an environment of organic 
molecules, as a sort of proto-metabolism - this circular structure is what 
defines (local) teleology and signs (of course, the root of this argument is 
the second half of Kant's third critique claiming life forms loops on the 
causal chain ...). Proto-metabolism defines life - the continuation of 
metabolism - versus its termination, and the existence of metabolism makes it 
possible for it to recruit new compounds and new chemical sub-cycles as 
"subcontractors" to the process …
Best
F

Den 13/09/2014 kl. 16.21 skrev Stanley N Salthe 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
:

Frederick -- I take your point regarding physics per se as being semiotic only 
in a trivial sense -- that is, in a sense mot needed in order to utilize 
effectively physical knowledge for our cultural purposes.  However, I point out 
that the problem of the origin of life throws a bridge over the gap between 
physico-chemistry and living cells. Some of us think that semiotics may be a 
fruitful way to think about the so-far intractable problem of the origin of 
life. It is in that context that physiosemiosis becomes of potentially great 
interest.

STAN

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to