Please note that "physiosemiosis" and "pansemiosis" (or "otics") are NOT AT ALL 
synonyms.

From: Frederik Stjernfelt [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 18:31
To: [email protected]; Peirce List
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Physics & Semiosis

Dear Clark, list


If feel somewhat bad of having brought the discussion down this tangent. (I've 
changed subject as per request) I hope you don't mind me making one final 
comment.

Not at all, these are important questions.


On Sep 7, 2014, at 4:49 AM, Frederik Stjernfelt 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Not all triadicity and thirdness is semiotic  - that is my conclusion. In 
Peirce, claims pointing in both directions can be found, so this is not a 
question which can be solved by Peirce philology.
Rather, it should be solved by looking to what the sciences are actually doing. 
So ,to me, the decisive argument against pan- or physiosemiotics is that I have 
never seen any semiotic redescription of physical processes (like: the crater 
is an index of the meteor)  adding the tiniest bit to our knowledge of physics. 
In that sense, such description seems superfluous. Quite the contrary is the 
case in biology where semiotic concepts abound.

It seems to me that there are many examples of exactly this sort of dual 
direction and most of the best examples occur in thermodynamics. Especially 
when combined with a statistical mechanics conception.

But perhaps I'm missing something obvious about what you mean by adding to our 
knowledge of physics. If I say the entropy is an index of the state of 
particles I am saying something different from entropy is caused by the state 
of the particles. At least it does to me.

but the entropy as a function of the state of the particles may be expressed 
without semiotic terminology, right? Are any sign-like concepts necessary in 
the classic Boltzmann and other descriptions? Is there any sign-like process 
going on in the macroscopic property of entropy resulting from one of several 
possible microscopic particle states?
I am not speaking about whether WE use sign-like concepts in shaping our 
knowledge of the situation - but whether there is a sign process going on when 
we're not looking, so to speak ...


Maybe that's not the best example, but then again I may be just missing the 
point you are making. (Again, apologies if I am - I bring it up only because it 
seems something important)

If I have you correctly you are making a distinction between the mental and the 
physical that's somewhat analogous to Davidson's anomalous monism. That is a 
mental description might describe the same physical state as a physical 
description but the physical description doesn't exhaust the mental 
description. That is, the mental description is irreducible. (The opposite of 
say Rorty's take where talking about pain or the firing of neurons seems the 
same)

I see the analogy but I do not think semiotics is mental in the sense Davidson 
intends. I think semiotic description in biology is irreducible, not so in 
physics.


The question then is whether going in one direction or the other matters in 
physics.

You mean the direction of time, cf. the second law of thermodynamics - but I 
don't see why this necessitates description in terms of signs. I think the 
existence of signs presuppose the local teleology of the closed circuits of the 
metabolism of an organism - but that is only in ch. 6 of Natural Propositions -


(I intend by Davidson just an analogy - not that it is akin to the anomalous 
monism which if I recall depends upon the nature of normative descriptions)

If that's right then I really do think the traditional description of 
thermodynamics and the statistical mechanics presentation of thermodynamics 
really is a classic example. Most teachers and interpreters tend to be very 
careful to note that we *shouldn't* assume statistical mechanics explains all 
thermodynamics (although some might think it does). Yet with that distinction 
the index then becomes quite significant.




-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to