Edwina, Helmut, Jon S, Jeff, John, Clark, List,

In a passage preceding the one I recently quoted twice, Peirce writes:

[A]s a rule the continuum has been derived from a more general continuum, a
continnum of higher generality.

>From this point of view we must suppose that the existing universe with all
its arbitrary secondness is an offshoot from, or an arbitrary
determination, of a world of ideas, a Platonic world [. . .] [Note: *not* an
existential world but "a world of ideas, a Platonic world."]

If that is correct, we cannot suppose the process of derivation, a process
which extends from before time and from before logic, we cannot suppose
that it began elsewhere than in the utter vagueness of completely
undetermined and dimensionless potentiality. [Note: "before time" in "utter
vagueness" not of nothing but of "completely undetermined and
dimensionsless potentiality."]

The evolutionary process is, therefore, not a mere evolution of the *existing
universe*, but rather a process by which the very Platonic forms themselves
have become or are becoming developed. [Note: the topic here is of an
evolutionary process *not *merely "of the *existing universe,*" emphasis in
the original.]

We shall naturally suppose, of course, that existence is a stage of
evolution. *This existence* is presumably but a special *existence*. We
need not suppose that every form needs for its evolution to emerge into
this world, but only that it needs to enter into *some* theater of
reactions of which it is one. [Note:
*This existence* is presumably but a special *existence;"* further*, *consider
the language he uses of the possibility of emerging *not* into this
world--our Universe--but merely "*some* theater of reactions"--I have
commented elsewhere that this suggests a possibly multi-universe theory. GR]

The evolution of forms begins, or at any rate, has for an early stage of
it, a vague potentiaility, and that either is or is followed by a continuum
of forms having a multitude of dimensions too great for the individual
dimensions to be distinct. It must be a contraction of the vagueness of
that potentiality of *everything in general and of nothing in particular* that
the world of forms comes forth. [emphasis added, RLT, 259]

So, as I read this, it is not here a matter of 'nothing at all' as Edwina
claims, but the "potentiality of everything in general and nothing in
paritcular" that is still but merely the ground from which, *not* this
*existential
world*, but "the world of forms" can emerge. I'd call that *way *pre-Big
Bang.

One can, I suppose, try to position these comments within the procrustean
bed of *our* special, existential, post-Big Bang  world in which Edwina
would try to fit it, but to me such a reading flies in the face of this
passage, the one I was earlier quoting, the whole of this lecture, and much
else that Peirce wrote (including, the N.A.)

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*