Edwina, List:

ET:  Are the Platonic worlds BEFORE or AFTER the so-called Big Bang?

I guess that depends how one understands the Big Bang.  You take it to be
the beginning of *everything*; before the Big Bang, there was *nothing*.
The real question is, what would *Peirce *have taken it to be?  I think
that the much more likely answer is when "this Universe of Actual
Existence" emerged from "the whole universe of true and real possibilities"
as "a discontinuous mark--like a line figure drawn on the area of the
blackboard" (NEM 4:345, RLT 162).  So the Platonic worlds must have
been *before
*the Big Bang, because they come *before *the existence of our
*particular *universe,
and all of them but one have *no connection* with the latter whatsoever.

ET:  But after, there were multiple 'chalk marks' - but only ONE set began
to take habits and became dominant, while the others dissipated.

Where do you find this in CP 6.203-208?  Where in that passage does it say
that only *one *set of chalk marks began to take habits?  On the contrary,
it states quite plainly, "Many such reacting systems may spring up," and
that we are "to conceive that there are many" Platonic worlds.  Where does
it say that one of these "became dominant" over the others?  Where does it
suggest that *any *merged aggregation of chalk marks, having developed the
habit of persistence, would have--or even could have--"dissipated"?  This
is not a legitimate *reading *of the text, it is the imposition of a
predetermined conceptual framework on it.

ET:  I don't think that this dispute can be 'settled' because we do read
the texts differently ...

We should not block the way of inquiry by assuming that, just because we
read the texts differently, there is no correct (or incorrect) way to read
the texts.

ET:  ... but I do think that we on the list should be aware that there are
different views on this issue

Do you really think that anyone on the List is *not *aware of this by now?