Just one small correction, John. For some theories, like number theory and set
theory, there are statements that are true but not deducible. I would think
they are entailed by the theory even if not provable, so I would call them part
of the theory. Not everyone likes that, but I think we are stuck with that.
There are also physical theories (Newtonian mechanics is one, but only in the
limit; better cases come in thermodynamic theory in which the energy in a
system can change by becoming unavailable). I use this as a criterion for
emergence -- true under the theory but not deducible -- in a couple of my
papers on my web site). I think these true but non-deducible consequences
(entailments) of a theory are not laws, but ironically, as Prigogine (and also
David Layzer) showed the existence of these cases is deducible from the theory.
Likewise for number theory, as Goedel showed, though they are usually called
theorems, not laws, in logic and mathematics. Interestingly, we can test some
of these non-deducible consequences even though we can't deduce them from the
theory. A relatively simple example is the formation of Bénard cells. We can
understand the physics involved, and write the equations of motion, and
determine the transformation point, but we can't predict the direction of
movement of the cells. Planetary dynamics has many cases, my favourite being
the 3-2 resonance of Mercury's rotation period to it revolution period -- it
used be assumed that it would 1-1 like the moon. I learned about it from one of
the discoverers, who demonstrated a similar phenomenon in class with a piece of
aluminium wire loosely couple to a fan rotor. I suspect it was no accident that
we were in the same building that Edward Lorenz worked in. The slightest
difference in starting conditions could lead to different resonances. My point
here is that the issue I am bringing up here has measurable but not predictable
consequences in physics. I don't think Peirce was aware of such situations,
though it was known in France at the end of the 19th Century that there were
possible cases (but they are rather improbable). Lorenz came up with a real
case from studying problems in meteorology.

John Collier
Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate
Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier