John Sowa, others ~

I wanted to comment on statements made last night about the meaning of
law-theory-hypothesis.  For convenience (i.e., mine), I will address your
statements in a different order: 1-3-2.  See below.

Regards,
Tom Wyrick

"Scientists make a three-way distinction of hypotheses, theories, and laws:

1. A law is a theory that has been thoroughly tested on some observable
phenomena and shown to be reliable in making predictions about the future
development of those phenomena."

There are a lot of scientists, so I won't claim that all agree with a
single definition. But when I see the term "law" being used by scientists
(e.g., Kepler's Law), it is normally used to describe a physical-empirical
regularity.  It is assumed that something causes/generates the regularity,
and that cause can (eventually) be formalized in a theory -- but the law
itself is a phenomenological description of reality. An empirical habit.

Laws: Orbits are ellipses (Kepler's Law).   If the price of good X
decreases, people buy more of good X (law of demand).   If something can go
wrong, it will (Murphy's Law).  These laws-regularities are not accompanied
by theories or tentative explanations (hypotheses).

"3. A hypothesis is any theory in the logicians' sense.  No tests of
relevance or reliability have yet been made."

This is broadly accurate, but lacks precision.  An hypothesis is not "any
theory," but a proposed explanation (story) for the observed regularity-law
and/or "surprising facts" that depart from the law.  Tests of
the hypothesis may or may not have been made; being tested does not
eliminate something from being an hypothesis.

"2. A theory is a hypothesis that  ... has not yet been sufficiently tested
for it to be accepted as a law."

This reads as though a moderate amount of hypothesis testing produces a
theory, then more testing produces a law.  No cause and effect is hinted
at. The alternative view:  A theory provides a widely-accepted causal
explanation for a physical regularity (law).  A generally accepted theory
is the best causal explanation that society (scientists and practitioners)
can presently offer for the physical law and/or exceptions to it.

4. A theory is the culmination of observation and measurement, hypothesis
construction, empirical testing, debate and discussion.  As such, a theory
is an intellectual-capital good developed over time.  There is no logical
activity known as "deduction" without first developing a "theoretical
model" that, when combined with relevant premises, generates syllogisms
(predictions, explanations) relating to a class of phenomena.