Dear John, Thomas, list:

To those who propose putting forth philosophical definitions for old terms,
Peirce gives a kind of snarky response in “Mr. Peterson’s Proposed
Discussion”.

And yet, despite his awareness that

*Symbols grow**… Omne symbolum de symbolo.* (7)
<https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/peirce1.htm#7>
 A symbol, once in being, spreads among the peoples. In use and in
experience, its meaning grows. Such words as *force, law, wealth, marriage,*
 bear for us very different meanings from those they bore to our barbarous
ancestors. The symbol may, with Emerson’s sphynx, (8)
<https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/peirce1.htm#8>
 say to man,

Of thine eye I am eyebeam.

he says that Locke’s definition for “experience” ought to be left
untouched.

In “Some Consequences of Four Incapacities”, he gives several definitions
for *hypothesis* in the footnotes.

Best,
Jerry R